I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints.
Stained glass windows in Kanda are an artistic approach to the Mystery of the Church. It helps us to understand the complex symbolism of the Holy Mystery concieved in the Holy Bible.
The Holy Church is:
- Sheepfold. The only gate to it leads through Christ, the Good Shepherd. He laid down his life for his flock and he set of to look for the one lost sheep. "The Church is, accordingly, a sheepfold, the sole and necessary gateway to which is Christ. It is also the flock of which God himself foretold that he would be the shepherd, and whose sheep, even though governed by human shepherds, are unfailingly nourished and led by Christ himself, the Good Shepherd and Prince of Shepherds, who gave his life for his sheep" (The Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraph 754)
- Growing Field. Christ is the vine. He's giving life to the young shoots (to us)
- Immaculate Bride of the Lamb. Beloved of Christ. "The Church, further, which is called 'that Jerusalem which is above' and 'our mother', is described as the spotless spouse of the spotless lamb. It is she whom Christ 'loved and for whom he delivered himself up that he might sanctify her."(The Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraph 754)
- God's People. God's Family gathered from the four corners of the earth. "For you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls" (1P. 2-9). "some of His disciples are exiles on earth, some having died are purified, and others are in glory beholding "clearly God Himself triune and one, as He is" (Lumen Gentium, Chapter VII, 49). "We believe in the communion of all the faithful of Christ, those who are pilgrims on earth, the dead who are being purified, and the blessed in heaven, all together forming one Church; and we believe that in this communion, the merciful love of God and his saints is always [attentive] to our prayers" (The Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraph 962)
- Virgin Mary, Mother of God, New Eve. She continues her role as mother of all people. She is leading us in our pilgrimage of faith.
or go directly to the rest of the stained glass windows:
Window 1 - We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty
Window 2 - We believe God, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is, seen and unseen.
Window 3 - We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
Window 4 - Second person of the Trinity,
Window 5 - We believe in Jesus Christ,
Window 6 - We believe in Jesus Christ, born of the Virgin Mary,
Window 7 - He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
Window 8 - He descended into hell, on the third day he rose again,
Window 9 - He ascended into heaven,
Window 10 - We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
Window 12 - I believe in the forgiveness of sins,
Window 13 - I believe in the resurrection of the body,
Window 14 - I believe in the life everlasting. Amen.,
Gallery / Left Window - Martyrs of Japan,
Gallery / Middle Window - Immaculate Mother and the martyrdom of Christians,
Gallery / Right Window - The Martyrdom of Christians in Japan,